OUR EXPERIMENTS

Previous proposals to use steam as LTA lift gas have been rather vulnerable to the criticism of being deficient in concrete data. Particularly, the patents to Papst detailed in the prior art section of this website suggest many ingenious concepts, but the numerical values quoted are extremely speculative and seem (at least to me) in many cases to be wildly optimistic, particularly with regard to the all-important question of insulation performance.

Therefore we have performed several series of experiments in order to derive the numerical parameters, which are necessary for planning steam flight seriously. Although this is by no means high technology - it's strictly tabletop/garage work - to the best of my knowledge this research is original....


Here the experimental goals are described...

First we did some small-scale experiments with rather small test envelopes and with rather ad-hoc testing arrangements... this description is included for its intrinsic interest and for historical completeness...

And then we built a more professional laboratory setup and performed some mid-scale experiments with much larger test envelopes, to get more accurate and repeatable values....

The results we have obtained to date are summarized here....



Site map

Back to the top page...

---ooo000ooo---

This page has been viewed times since its creation...